Broccoli & Spinach Pasta
Made, written & photographed by the creators of the Point
This plant based meal is is perfect for your next meatless night. It makes a lot of pasta, so you won't be left hungry and you won't miss the meat.
The creamy sauce is filled with nutrients and the whole thing is topped with garlic bread crumbs which add a flavorful crunch to the top.
You can also easily make this after work and you won't even have many dishes to clean - food processor/blender and a pan!
Broccoli & Spinach Pasta
Serves 6 | Total Time: 60 minutes
1 1/2 pound of broccoli, 2 medium heads
4 garlic cloves
1/2 to 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups baby spinach
6 cups whole milk
3/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1 lb medium shell pasta
4 pieces of day old garlic bread
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Grab an x-large, oven safe skillet or cast iron pan.
Use as large a skillet as you have, and then transfer to a 9x13 dish to bake.
A lot of food is added to the pan (we almost overflowed) so just be cautious!
2. Prep your broccoli: Discard the tough ends. Roughly chop the remaining stalks (you can place into your food processor or blender right away) and chop the florets into smaller, bite sized pieces.
3. Place your chopped stalks and 4 garlic cloves into a food processor or blender. Beat or chop until they are finely blitzed and combined.
4. Heat the large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add in 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1/2 to 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes.
You can also adjust your spice level later on while cooking the sauce.
5. Add your blitzed broccoli/garlic mixture to the hot skillet. Cook for about 5 minutes while stirring occasionally.
6. Without cleaning the processor/blender, add 2 cups baby spinach, 2 cups whole milk, and 3/4 cup cheddar cheese. Blend/process until smooth.
7. Back to your skillet: Slowly add the remaining 4 cups of milk. Slowly pour in the spinach/milk/cheese mixture. Bring to a boil. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
Continue to whisk or stir your pot as you add the milk to avoid it curdling. This is when the skillet's size is tested. The liquid will cook off a tad as you boil and bake it, but it will be close to the edge.
8. Add your bite-sized broccoli florets and your pasta. Stir occasionally and cook at a low boil for 5 minutes.
9. While your pasta cooks, add your garlic bread to your food processor/blender. Process until fine crumbs form.
You don't have to clean your processor in between any of these uses!
10. Once your pasta has cooked for 5 minutes, top with the garlic bread crumbs and carefully move the skillet into your preheated oven.
11. Bake for 15 minutes or until the crumbs are golden. Serve hot with additional garlic bread!