Instead of the typical breadcrumbs, why not try buttery Ritz to add a layer of flavor and crunch!
Chicken & Rice Ritz Bake
- 1 cup dry rice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups chicken cooked, shredded or cubed
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 cups Ritz crackers crushed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Begin by cooking your rice according to package. (Typically 1 cup of rice in 2 cups water.) Once cooked, set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375° and spray a 9×13 baking dish. Set aside.
- In a large pot, add your butter and melt over medium heat. Once hot, add your celery, onion, garlic, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Cook for 5-8 minutes or until translucent.
- Add your flour and whisk in your milk. Continue stirring to avoid milk curdling. Once the flour is dissolved, add the heavy cream and chicken stock. Sprinkle remaining salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Stir and cook until the flour taste has been cooked out.
- Stir in your cooked chicken, rice, and 1/2 cup cheddar cheese.
- Pour your chicken and rice mixture into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 15 minutes.
- In a gallon baggie, crush your Ritz crackers and drizzle your olive oil on top. After the casserole is done baking, remove and top with Ritz crackers. Place back in the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- Once the Ritz are golden brown and the casserole is bubbling, remove and let stand to cool for a minute or two.
- Dish up and enjoy!
Leave a Review!
Please leave a review and rate the recipe if you gave it a try! I’d love to hear from you all and get your versions of these recipes. Let me know below how much you loved it or how you would change it!